Tuesday, October 27, 2020

On Pumpkin Bread -- gluten free


                                                      Pumpkin Bread -- YUM

 

 

     Pumpkins are associated with autumn, harvest and Halloween. Pumpkin "bread," which is actually a dessert, as opposed to regular baked bread, can be very sweet, very delicious. Strange, because pumpkins are really quite healthy.

     Since pumpkins are orange, they have beta carotene, which becomes Vitamin A -- you know, the carrot vitamin. Vitamin A is good for our skin, eyes, mucus membranes, and ALSO, our immune systems. So that makes pumpkin bread at least "semi" healthy.

      But what if you have a gluten sensitivity, like me? I actually found this great box cake/bread recipe in Kroger (but only once, so far). So I bought it again recently online-- "Simple Mills  Pumpkin Muffin & Bread" mix, with almond flour. It also uses coconut sugar, arrowroot, pumpkin (of course) and the organic spices of  cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves. I don't think I could have made something from scratch this good. I have found that so called "1 to 1" gluten free flours may not be up to the task for something like banana bread or pumpkin bread. But this recipe is great.

     I think I found it on amazon.com, but you can also get "Simple Mills" pumpkin muffin & bread mix at vitacost.com and thrive market as well. 

    So don't deprive yourself. Get some.  

1 comment: